Applicants must meet the Downtown Campus Graduate School admission requirements according to Graduate School Policies and Procedures in addition to the following requirements of the Department of Chemistry:
An undergraduate major in Chemistry or a closely related discipline is required, including two semesters of organic chemistry as well as training in analytical chemistry, physical chemistry, and inorganic chemistry. Students missing more than one of these courses may be limited in the tracks that they are eligible to select. Students missing more than one of these courses may be provided a provisional admission. An undergraduate GPA of 3.0 (on a 4 point scale) is desired although each application is considered on its own merits.
- The GRE examination is recommended but not required.
- International students have additional admission requirements concerning immigration status, proof of financial responsibility and acceptable TOEFL or IELTS scores or completion of the CU Denver English as a Second Language Academy.
- TOEFL minimum requirements are a composite score of 550 (paper based exam) or 213 (computer based exam) or 79 (internet based exam). For the internet based exam the minimums in each area are 15 for reading, 14 for listening, 19 for speaking an 20 for writing. The IELTS minimum requirement is a composite score of 7.0 with minimum scores of 6.0 for reading, 6.0 for listening, 6.0 for speaking and 6.0 for writing.
- In addition, a demonstrated proficiency in spoken English is required of those who wish to become teaching assistants. Students must demonstrate proper spelling and use of the English language to obtain an advanced degree from the University of Colorado
- Students currently in a BS program at CU Denver or elsewhere may want to consider the BS/MS option.