Unfortunately we will not be offering camps in 2020.
Please check back for Summer 2021!
Science in the City: STEAM Camp
Work with real experts to discover topics in
Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics
For rising 1st – 8th graders
June 24 - 28, 2019, 9:30 am – 3:30 pm at the Auraria Campus
Cost: $350 (Includes all materials, but does not include meals)
Potential Camp Activities
*Activities are subject to change
The STEAM Camp will be lead by Dr. Jennifer Hellier and Dr. Laurel Hartley with selected graduate students to cover the following exciting topics:
- Chemistry of Slime - Have you ever wondered what slime is made of or how a chemical reaction makes a slimy substance? Using tools that chemists use each day to study our world, participants will learn about chemical solutions and how together they can make a new product!
- Physics and Engineering - This is no ordinary egg-drop challenge! Discover the physics and engineering techniques involved in keeping an egg safe when dropped from up high.
- Sensory Systems – Study taste and smell senses and how they are important for flavor. Enjoy your favorite snacks while learning about perception and sensory systems. Understand nutrition and how to help prevent obesity.
- Anatomy and Physiology - Use clay to build the muscles, blood vessels and nerves of a human hand on a model designed by Anatomy in Clay®. Understand how anatomy and physiology work together in providing gross and fine motor movements. Dissect a heart to learn the anatomy and physiology. Understand how to care for your heart and how to help prevent disease.
- Urban Stream Ecology – Explore the Cherry Creek River in downtown Denver! Pose a hypothesis about how stream organisms will colonize litter bags (e.g. some bags with native cottonwood leaves and some bags with invasive Russian olive leaves). We will make bags, place them in a stream system in advance of the camp, and then retrieve them to characterize the community.
- Math - Play like a mathematician! See math in a whole new way. Explore games and puzzles while you learn how to play (and win) like a mathematician.
- Create Art - Each day, students will have the opportunity to work in a maker-space to use their creative side. Additionally, many of the activities are designed to include art techniques to make this a true STEAM experience.
Please note that meals are not included and participants are expected to bring a bagged lunch for all 5 days of camp.
All camp activities will be supervised by adults. In addition, we will provide supervision for those campers who may need to get dropped off or picked up earlier or later that the scheduled camp.
- Optional pre-camp activities are offered from: 8:30am - 9:30am
- STEAM Camp activities run from: 9:30am - 3:30pm
- Optional post-camp activities are offered from 3:30pm - 4:30pm
The total cost for the camp is $350 - please be prepared to pay for the camp once you have completed the enrollment form.
The deadline to enroll in the STEAM Camp is June 14, 2019.
Thanks to everyone who enrolled!
Families who sign up more than one student (either a sibling or friend) will receive a 20% discount off of each additional student enrollment! Unique discount codes will be provided.
We have a no refund policy except in extenuating circumstances.