What is the difference between Extended Studies and Continuing and Professional Education?

Basically, there is no difference. Continuing and Professional Education (CPE) encompasses all extended studies courses and professional development workshops held on or off campus. We call this branch of university services Continuing and Professional Education, but when searching the class schedule for specific courses, you may need to search under the "Extended Studies" campus location to find what you are looking for. 

What types of Continuing and Professional Education programs are offered?

Browse this website or click on the About Us menu to learn more about the types of programs that we offer in the College of Liberal Arts in Sciences. Additionally, you may visit the CU Denver Continuing and Professional Education website for links to other CPE programs thoughout the university. 

Do I need to apply? Which application should I fill out?

Several non-credit programs will not require a formal application to the university - be sure to check with the coordinator for your specific program to see what the application process is. Some specific programs, such as the ESL Academy, require that students complete an application for "Continuing and Professional Education". Students who would like to take credit-bearing courses at CU Denver should submit a non-degree seeking application (either undergraduate or graduate). Click on the Application and Enrollment Options menu for more detailed information. 

What does "non-degree seeking" refer to?

Students who would like to enroll in credit-bearing courses before applying for formal admission to a degree program, or who are interested in taking courses to meet prerequisites or join a certificate program, can apply to the univeristy as non-degree seeking (undergraduate or gradaute). Click on the Application and Enrollment Options menu for more detailed information on non-degree seeking students. 

When can I enroll in courses?

Enrollment timelines and procedures may vary by each individual CPE program, so it's important to check with your program regarding specific dates and policies for registration. 

Students who are taking credit-bearing courses can refer to CU Denver's Academic Calendar for important dates and deadlines. 

How can I order a transcript?

Unofficial transcripts can be viewed and printed by logging into your UCD Access student portal. Under the Academics section of the Student Center, students have the option to view their unoffical transcript from any of the three campuses in the CU System. *Non-credit courses will not appear on an unofficial transcript.

Visit the Registrar's website and click "Order Official Transcripts" to order an official copy of your transcript. You must create a new account before logging in to order transcripts. Selecting an "All CU History" transcript will produce an official transcript with credit-bearing courses shown. Selecting a "Non-Credit" transcript will produce an official transcript with non-credit and continuing education unit (CEU) course offerings. 

What are Continuing Education Units (CEUs)?

Continuing education units, or CEUs, are awarded by many education and training providers to signify successful completion of non-credit programs and courses intended to improve the knowledge and skills of working adults. One CEU equals ten contact hours of participation in organized continuing education classes and/or training conducted by a qualified instructor. Some CU Denver programs offer continuing education units; students can order a non-credit CU Denver transcript indicating completion of these activities. 

How much do Continuing and Professional Education courses cost?

The cost of Continuing and Professional Education courses varies greatly depending on course length, location, and the type of credit offered. CPE courses that are offered off campus are exempt from most student fees. CPE courses held on campus are not exempt from student fees, and are charged at a tuition rate that is comparable to main campus rates. Please check with your specific program to find out the true cost of the program you are interested in. 

Is financial aid available?

Students who are degree-seeking or pursuing a credit-bearing certificate program may be elligible for financial aid. For more information, visit the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office.