At the Department of Communication’s seventeenth annual Communication Days celebration, the Department welcomed more than 15 outside experts and guest speakers to classes, ranging from the Nation’s sports editor Dave Zirin to singer-songwriter Josh Fuson and the LGBTQ Resource Center’s Xajés Martinez, and honored outstanding achievements.
2017 Department of Communication award winners include:
- Sonja K. Foss Award for Academic Excellence Presented to Haley Pasquariello
- Barbara J. Walkosz Distinguished Alumni Award Presented to Perla Gheiler
- Robley Rhine Student Leadership Award Presented to Valeria Moran
- Lael Porter Award for Community Service Presented to Matthew Wilkin, Patrycja Humienik, and Sarah Sunderlin
- Friend of the Communication Department Award Presented to Mary Lovit
The keynote presentation and awards ceremony coincided with a Daniels Fund Colloquium on Ethics in Communication presented by the award-winning Colorlines publisher and executive director of Race Forward, Rinku Sen, who spoke about “The Ethics of Covering Race News in a Complex Time.”