SACNAS 2017! Invigorating, Inspiring, In Unity

Published: Dec. 18, 2018

Each year, MARC takes its students to the Society for Advancing Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS)- the largest diversity in STEM conference in the country. In 2017, we took 9 students this year, 6 of whom earned travel awards! (read that story here) 

Why do we make this event a priority every year? Read what our students had to say after attending the event in October, 2017: 

"SACNAS changed my impressions of the scientific community. Where a feeling of being an outsider in the sciences once existed, now lives a sense of belonging and inclusion--I am not the only minority struggling in a largely homogeneous field."  -Matt Mitchell 

"I learned that I don’t have to feel alone during rough patches in my education. I have a support system I can utilize. I loved that even though there were so many people at the conference, I felt a part of the community because the environment was so welcoming. Also, because this conference well facilitated the ability to network, I know feel like applying to grade school is less daunting/overwhelming." -Cristiana Meuret 

"SACNAS was reinvigorating; the conference served as a platform for people like me to express their experiences and motivations. It made me reflect on how far I have come and how much I can still look forward to."  -Danny Hernandez 

"The conference allowed me to see the research of other students and learn about graduate programs that I had not heard of before or considered."  -Magdelana Carr 

"Attending the SACNAS conference this past weekend not only allowed me to engage in professional development activities, but it also allowed me to come together with a group of driven individuals to learn and grow. The team behind SACNAS is allowing individuals, like myself, the opportunity to shine and believe in ourselves."  -Jenn Jaime 

"I am fervent about academia. I am ardent about the discipline of psychology. I have been searching for the right path to implement my passions. MARC took me to SACNAS 2017; it is at SACNAS that my path became clear and I have never been more enlivened by my academic journey!"  -Brandan Radar 

"I have always had a love for science, the SACNAS conference showed me how to take this passion and apply it to improve my community."  -Baris Aydintug 

"SACNAS was the best college experience I've had since I started college. I am grateful to have spent time with so many talented people in the sciences. One thing I take from SACNAS is that no matter where you come from, you have the potential to succeed if you really want it. Coming back from SACNAS, I am motivated to succeed in my science classes and really understand the why's to how the world of science works. After SACNAS, I now have a great support system from professors I met at the conference. Thanks for this wonderful opportunity!"  -Odalis Castro 

Learn More about The CU Denver SACNAS Chapter 

Baris Presenting at SACNAS 2017 Jonte Presenting at SACNAS 2017  Danny Presenting at SACNAS 2017 UC Denver MARC students at SACNAS 2017 DinnerJenn and Danny at SACNAS 2017 Dinner