Graduate Director
Dr. Gregory Simon
Office: NC 3016D

Graduate Program Option Advisors

Air Quality Option Advisor
Dr. Frederick Chambers
Phone: 303.315.7553
Office: NC 3222

Environmental Health Option Advisor                                 
Dr. Peter Anthamatten  
Phone: 303.315.7557
Office: NC 3514-A

Ecosystems Option Advisor
Dr. Christy Briles
Phone: 303.315.7551
Office: NC 3208-C

Environmental Science Education Option Advisor
Dr. Bryan Wee
Phone: 303.315.7534
Office: NC 3016-B

Water Systems Option Advisor
Dr. Anne Chin
Phone: 303.315.7555
Office: NC 3621-A

Geospatial Analysis Option Advisor
Dr. Rafael Moreno
Phone: 303.315.7556
Office: NC 3524


Environmental Science Education: Bryan Wee

GIS Certificate: Matt Cross

Sustainable Urban Agriculture Certificate: Amanda Weaver

Important note for geo-spatial classes: Because of the time committment required for the technology-based classes, we do not recommend taking more than one geo-spatial technology class in the same semester and that you follow the proper sequence (please note the pre-reqs). It may be possible to take two, but you need to be aware of the additional time this will require.​​

Curriculum Checklists 

MA Non-Thesis Checklist

MA Thesis Checklist

MS Non-Thesis Checklist

MS Thesis Checklist


Graduate students presenting work as the first author should apply for travel funding to three sources:

  1. Graduate School
  2. CLAS (requires request to Graduate School
  3. GES Graduate Director (requires request to Graduate School and CLAS).

Past students have been very successful at getting travel awards from these sources.

Not from Colorado? Pay In-State Tuition through the Western Regional Graduate Program

GES is part of the Western Regional Graduate Program (WRGP), which allows our graduate applicants who are residents of the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE) member states* to pay Colorado in-state tuition. All graduate students applying for our MA or MS programs in 2019 and later are eligible!

*WICHE member states and U.S. territories include:

  • Alaska (AK)
  • Arizona (AZ)
  • California (CA)
  • Colorado (CO)
  • Guam (GU)
  • Hawaii (HI)
  • Idaho (ID)
  • Montana (MT)
  • Nevada (NV)
  • New Mexico (NM)
  • North Dakota (ND)
  • Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI)
  • Oregon (OR)
  • South Dakota (SD)
  • Utah (UT)
  • Washington (WA)
  • Wyoming (WY)


Am I Eligible?

You are eligible to apply for in-state tuition through WRGP if you:

  • Reside in eligible state prior to starting first academic term of WRGP acceptance.
  • Are admitted into a qualifying program.

How Does It Work?

Each program differs in number of WRGP slots available, selection criteria, and WRGP application process. Please contact us for additional details.

Do I Need To Reapply Every Year?

No. Once you are admitted through WRGP, you are eligible as long as you:

  • Maintain current residency of WRGP state.
  • Maintain good academic standing.

Can I Establish Residency In Colorado?

No, not while you are paying in-state tuition through WRGP. If you want to build time towards establishing residency, you will need to pay the full out-of-state tuition.

Want more FAQs and information about WRGP? Visit the WGRP website.

Helpful Links and Forms

Academic Calendar
Course Catalog
Graduate School Website