Frequently Asked Questions

You must get a travel signature on your most recent I-20 document. Travel signatures are valid for 6 months at a time. Do NOT leave the country without a valid travel signature. Without a valid travel signature, you may not be able to re-enter the U.S. You should attend our travel signature days, which are available at the end of each term. Students must have an up to date U.S. and permanent address in their Student Portal.​​

In order to get a driver’s license you will need to request a letter from the SEVIS Coordinator verifying that you are enrolled as a student at CU Denver. To request a letter, please visit the SEVIS Coordinator during office hours at the ESL Academy or you may schedule an individual appointment

Your passport must remain valid the entire time that you are in the United States. Passports should be valid for at least six (6) months into the future when entering and re-entering the U.S. If you need to renew your passport, please contact your individual embassy or consulate to find out specific instructions about what you will need to do. Please be aware at all times of the dates on your documents and be sure to plan ahead!​

If you would like to transfer out of the ESL Academy, you must be in good academic and attendance standing.
  1. Meet with the Director of the ESL Academy or the ESL Program Coordinator to discuss your interest in transferring out.
  2. Meet with the SEVIS Coordinator to discuss your interest in transferring out and acquire the proper paperwork.
  3. Complete the CU Denver Transfer Out form. Submit a copy of the acceptance letter from your new institution and the transfer form from your new institution to the SEVIS Coordinator to complete.​

This is an easy process. You need to fill out the I-20 extension form. See the Admissions Coordinator for this form. If you request an extension for your I-20, you will also need to submit new financial documentation for the additional time needed at the ESL Academy. The Program Coordinator will submit this to the SEVIS Coordinator. If your request for an extension is approved, the program end date on your I-20 document will be adjusted. You must request an extension prior to the end date on your I-20. Extensions cannot be granted after your I-20 has expired.​

​​Students holding an F-1 or J-1 visa are required to be a full-time student and maintain a full time status while they are in the United States.​​ Students must regularly attend classes. If a student misses more than 25 hours of class, he or she will be dismissed. If you are dismissed during the term your SEVIS record will be terminated and you will need to leave the U.S. If you are dismissed after the term or between terms, you will need to leave the U.S. prior to the start of the next term or you may request to be transferred to another institution before the next ESL term begins. Please see transfer procedures above. Please be sure to speak with the Director of the ESL Academy or the SEVIS Coordinator if you have any questions about the attendance policy and your individual case.​