Welcome to the Young Writers Camps Website for the Denver Writing Project!
The Denver Writing Project offers a range of summer writing camps for students in 2nd through 12th grade. Camp locations include Denver, Aurora, and Centennial. We invite you to contact us with questions about the camps at firstname.lastname@example.org or (303) 315-7846.
Attention Young Writers!
Do you love to write? Are you a budding poet, flourishing story writer, or even future famous author? Would you like to write in a relaxed, social atmosphere? If so, join us for one of our Young Writers Camps! Spend a fun-filled week of your summer with other young writers exploring and developing your own creative writing abilities.
We are offering three specialty Young Writers Camps in 2019
- Young Writers Camp at Pine Ridge Elementary (Aurora, CO)
- Writing for Civic Action Young Writers Camp (Denver, CO)
- Cherry Creek Young Writers Camp at Homestead Elementary (Centennial, CO)
Young Writers Camps at Pine Ridge Elementary
Do you love to write? Are you a budding poet, flourishing storywriter, or possibly a future famous author? Spend a fun-filled week of summer with other young writers exploring and developing your own creative voice in an environment sure to inspire!
• Who: Enthusiastic Young Writers entering 2nd – 9th grades in the fall of 2019.
• When: June 2019, Specific Dates TBD
• Where: Pine Ridge Elementary, 6525 South Wheatlands Pkwy, Aurora, Colorado 80016
• Elementary Camp Leaders: Certified teachers from Cherry Creek Schools - Mary Derbish and Elizabeth Maloney
• Middle School Camp Leaders: Certified teachers from Aurora Public Schools - Jennifer Henderson and Denise Huber
• Guest Writers: Kathleen Pelley, award winning author and Jovan Mays, former Poet Laureate of Aurora
• Friday Celebration: Friends and family are invited to come hear young writers read their
• Registration Fee: $225 for each individual for the week.
(The registration fee includes a camp t-shirt)
Writing For Civic Action Young Writers Camp
An engaging academic writing experience for high school students...
The Writing For Civic Action Young Writers Camp is for students in grades 9th through 12th who want to hone their argumentative writing skills while writing for civic action and social justice.
Young writers will participate in a variety of writing workshops with professional writers and Denver Writing Project Teacher Consultants and will also experiment with writing arguments in a variety of genres. Additionally, campers will learn and practice specific “moves” writers make in effective argumentative writing to further prepare them for college-level writing expectations.
While this camp will emphasize aspects of academic writing, young writers will have the opportunity to write for authentic purposes and audiences about topics and issues that are relevant and important to each individual writer. Students will also have the opportunity to work directly with college writing instructors from the University of Colorado Denver.
- Who: 9th - 12th grades
- When: June 2019, Specific Dates TBD
- Where: Auraria Campus, Denver, Building and Room TBD
- Cost: $225
- Additional Camp DetailsSpace is limited. Campers will need to provide their own lunch, unless notified in advance of group lunches (i.e. Pizza Party). They can bring a sack lunch or purchase lunch at the Tivoli (Subway, McDonald's, Taco Bell, etc.) Campers are expected to attend all days of the program. Questions can be directed to email@example.com
Cherry Creek Young Writers Camp at Homestead Elementary
During this five-day camp, writing instruction will be provided by Lauren Zuiker from Dry Creek Elementary and Susan Foster from Greenwood Elementary.
Who: Open to students going into 2nd grade through 6th grade.
Where: Homestead Elementary 7451 S Homestead Pkwy, Centennial, CO 80123
When: July 2019 Specific Dates TBD
Details: On the final day of the week, Friday, families are invited to come hear students share their writing from the week. We will host a Friday potluck breakfast at 9am and will finish by 11:00am.
Cost: $225 per child for the week (includes a Denver Writing Project T-shirt)
Registration: Limited to 40 participants.