Asma Al-Masyabi, Creative Writing Major, Won the 2023 Emerging Poet Award from the Ruth Weiss Foundation

Published: Dec. 4, 2023

Asma Al-Masyabi, Creative Writing student in the Department of English, has won the 2023 Emerging Poet Award from the Ruth Weiss Foundation for her poem “The Future I Feed My Brother.” The award comes with a $1,500 grant. The Ruth Weiss Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization whose mission is to create opportunities to support poetic artists through their annual grant program.

Asma Al-Masyabi is a Scholastic Silver Medal Poetry winner with publications in Subnivean, the Santa Clara Review, the Riverstone Literary Journal, and more. She often uses poetry as a way to process the world, as she does with “The Future I Feed My Brother,” which she dedicates to her younger brother. She is currently pursuing a degree in Creative Writing and looks forward to a career filled with words and art, her two biggest passions.

Here is the link to her poem: https://www.ruthweissfoundation.org/2023-awards/asma