We view writing as a process and all texts as works in progress. We therefore seek to build confident, accomplished writers through the teaching of discipline specific genre knowledge, the development of critical thinking skills and the practice of audience-centered writing. Our clients develop better writing skills while improving their texts.
Services for Students
One-on-one and small-group sessions, directed by trained Professional Writing Consultants, are tailored to support students and build more accomplished writers. We assist writers of all levels and in all disciplines on any type of written work, including:
- Academic essays of all types
- Proposals, reports and reviews
- Theses, dissertations and manuscripts
- Scholarship, graduate-study and career-application documents.
Sessions are designed to prepare writers to:
- Understand assignment expectations
- Generate, organize and develop ideas
- Analyze, synthesize and argue
- Summarize, paraphrase and document sources
- Effectively recognize and revise issues with grammar and syntax
Services for Faculty
The Writing Center serves CU Denver faculty via professional-development seminars, custom in-class workshops, and both individual and departmental course support focused on:
- Incorporating writing across the curriculum
- Scaffolding writing assignments
- Creating effective rubrics and methods for writing assessment
Diversity and Inclusion Statement
The University of Colorado Denver honors diverse experiences and perspectives in the belief that they enhance the educational experience for all. The Writing Center at CU Denver supports this mission by offering safe, supportive learning environments where students can engage in critical thinking practices and develop their own voice through writing. The Writing Center is committed to creating a community of writers with a focus on equity, diversity of thought, and the belief that every member of the CU Denver community deserves both a fair chance and appropriate support to enable them to thrive. To this end, we are committed to inclusion and equitable practices for students who have been historically underrepresented in academic, literary, and social spaces, including people of color; LGBTQIA+ communities; the neurodiverse; military veterans; and individuals of all ages, abilities, religious beliefs, nationalities, and socioeconomic backgrounds.