David Hildebrand investigates the Ethics of A.I. and Datafication in Education

Published: Aug. 30, 2023

David Hildebrand, Philosophy Professor, will present on the ethics of data and A.I. at two conferences this September. In Helsinki, Finland he presents “Autonomy and Ethics in an Age of Algorithmic A.I” at the University of Helsinki and “Algorithms, A.I. and Data in Education: New Promises and Core Values” at the workshop, Pragmatist Approaches to Technological Problems. In Stockholm, Sweden, he presents on similar themes to a workshop and conference funded by the Swedish Research Council entitled Exploring Values in Emerging Sociotechnical Imaginaries of Education and Learning. These conferences support two of his publications presently in press: “Data in Educational Practice” in the volume Framing Futures in Postdigital Education: Critical Concepts for Data-driven Practices (Springer series in Postdigital Science and Education) and “Democracy without Autonomy? Information Technology’s Manipulation of Experience and Morality” in the volume John Dewey and Contemporary Challenges in Education (Routledge). Hildebrand was a member of the CLAS Dean's A.I. Working Group over the summer.