The Physics Student Lab Assistants work with the Physics Lab Managers to ensure smooth operation of our instructional labs and to continually improve what we can offer students taking our courses at CU Denver.
Applications for this position are accepted on a rolling basis; a position may not be immediately available.
Depending on experience, tasks could include but are not limited to:
- Provide general technical expertise to other students (assist with open lab hours in the Student Projects Lab and Computational Physics Lab as needed)
- Enforce lab policies, practices, and safety standards
- Weekly lab equipment change-over
- Cleaning lab rooms on a weekly basis (this includes dusting, disinfecting, sweeping, vacuuming, and mopping as needed)
- Assisting with faulty equipment (diagnostics, maintenance, and repair)
- CAD design
- Prototyping (3D Printing, Laser Cutting, Woodworking, Metalworking)
- Equipment inventory and organization
- Coding (Matlab, Python, Arduino)
This position is expected to work 8 to 10 hours per week during the semester. Work schedules vary each semester, and is coordinated with each student employee. Work hours are typically scheduled between 8 AM and 6 PM, Monday through Friday.
CU Denver or MSU Denver student with a minimum GPA of 2.7. The applicant must be self-motivated and willing to explore and learn unknown technical skills.
Preferred Experience and Qualifications (but not required to apply):
- Fabrication Experience – 3D Printing, Laser Cutting, Woodworking, Metalworking
- Electronics Experience – Soldering, Circuit Building, Circuit Design
- Design Experience – Fusion360, Solidworks, Sketchup
- Coding Experience – Matlab, Python, Ardunio
Pay for this position is $12/hour. Students from all majors and all education levels (including Freshman) are welcome to apply. Preference will be given to qualified students with a declared major or minor in physics, with a secondary preference to qualified students with a declared major in the College of Engineering.
To apply for this position, please complete the form below: