Department of Mathematical and Statistical Science openings:
1. Tutoring Support
We hire undergraduate students to grade, help run calculus and college algebra recitation sections, and to work in the MERC lab (NC 4015). Appointments are made on a semester-by-semester basis.
- Must be enrolled as an undergraduate student and taking at least 6 credit hours at University of Colorado Denver.
- Must have taken at least two math classes from University of Colorado Denver
- Must have completed Calculus 3 (MATH 2421) & Linear Algebra (MATH 3191, not 3195) or a higher-level math class with grades of B+ or better within the last two years
- Have good communication skills
- Be responsible
Time requirements: Grading: 4 hours/week
- Learning Assistant: 7-10 hours per week.
- MERC Lab: Flexible.
If you are interested, please submit the following:
- Your name, e-mail address, and phone number
- Name of three references, two of which must be University of Colorado Denver math instructors, and their contact information
- Position(s) you are interested in and why (please write a paragraph for each position).
2. Office Support Staff:
Interested students will receive anywhere from 15-20 hours of work per week.
The office support staff in CLAS/Mathematics and Statistical Sciences (4th Floor Student Commons Building) is responsible for a wide variety of operational tasks. These include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assisting students with course registration, as well as processing transfer credit evaluations, helping students with their student records and assisting with course prerequisite requests and questions.
- Work with faculty, instructors, students and staff to complete daily and one-time data-entry projects (course data, faculty course questionnaire data, uniform final data, etc.), enrollment counts, and course and curriculum management.
- Student, faculty and staff support including directing students to faculty offices, answering questions, assisting students with registering for classes, assisting with Excellence in Teaching Symposium and new graduate student orientation.
- General office and clerical duties including sending faxes, making copies, scanning documents, filing, running errands, mail services, shredding, maintaining a generic department email, etc.
- Training upon receiving job to work with CU-SIS (Student Information Systems), in order to pull transfer credit reports, student transcripts, course rosters, and using this information in a secure, as-needed basis.
- Ability to work as a team, alongside other student workers. This position is one job maintained by multiple employees, so communication is important within this position in order to run smoothly with day-to-day tasks.
- Front desk duties and responsibilities including answering phones & responding to voicemails, providing assistance to students, getting students into contact with advisors, updating departmental information by semester changes (i.e. departmental directory, mailboxes, photos of department employees, floorplan and office assignments, etc.).
- The office support staff provides valuable assistance in the effective and efficient delivery of services by the center. [Individuals looking for a position where they can do their homework, study and/or socialize need NOT apply.]
All interested applicants must meet the initial eligibility criteria described here:
- Have completed a bachelor’s degree
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Be a graduate or undergraduate degree-seeking CU Denver student, currently enrolled in courses at Downtown Denver Campus.
- Commit to work with the Department of Mathematical and Statistical Sciences for approximately two years
- Have good oral and written communication skills.
- Work-study preferred, but not required.
Starting Pay Rate:
$15.87 an hour.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.