Alyssa Hohorst Ph.D. Comprehensive Exam

Alyssa Hohorst photo

Alyssa Hohorst

Ph.D. Student
Drs. Benjamin Greenwood’s Lab

When: Nov. 14, 2023 at 9:00a
Where: SI 4127

"Nigrostriatal dopamine subcircuits underlying estrous cycle-modulation of fear extinction and relapse"

My dissertation research investigates the mechanisms underlying female estrous cycle modulated fear extinction and relapse in order to develop novel therapeutic strategies to treat stress-related disorders such as generalized anxiety disorder and PTSD. I will use mRNA analysis to compare fear extinction induced activation of dopamine receptor D1-expressing dorsolateral striatum (DLS) neurons projecting to the hippocampus between males, females with low ovarian hormones, and females with high ovarian hormones. Next, I will use a chemogenetic approach to inhibit the substantia nigra (SN) to DLS pathway (SN-DLS) during fear extinction to determine the necessity of this pathway in females with high ovarian hormones to reduce renewal. Finally, I will use a chemogenetic approach to activate the SN-DLS pathway during fear extinction in males to determine if the activity of this pathway during fear extinction is sufficient to reduce relapse in males.

Everyone is welcome to attend.