2023 Spring Seminar Series-Dr. Paula Fornwalt

Published: Feb. 1, 2023

2023 Spring Seminar Series Presents

Dr. Paula Fornwalt photo

Dr. Paula Fornwalt

Research Ecologist and Scientist-In-Charge of Manitou Experimental Forest
Forest Service
Rocky Mountain Research Station

WHEN:     February 10, 2023, at Noon
WHERE:   Seminar will be presented via Zoom and in person in the North Classroom,
Room 1207.

Everyone is welcome to join the seminar, please email jacki.craig@ucdenver.edu to receive the Zoom link. Requests can be submitted any time before the seminar but not after 10:00am the day of the seminar.

Recent wildfires in ponderosa pine forests: ecological consequences, drivers, solutions

A brief overview: Many recent wildfires in western US ponderosa pine forests have burned with uncharacteristically high severity across large areas, garnering headlines worldwide. Understanding the ecological consequences and drivers of these wildfires is key to developing effective management solutions. In this talk, I will first discuss some of my research on the consequences of these fires, including their impacts on forest structure and on subsequent post-fire vegetation recovery. I will also share some findings of research I have been doing on how land use practices since the mid- to late- 19th century have helped drive these fires. Finally, I will conclude with some findings of research I have been doing on management solutions, including those that can be implemented pre-fire to minimize high-severity fire risk, and those that can be implemented post-fire to hasten vegetation recovery processes.