Summer Hiring Request UGRA’s and Student Assistants Due Friday, March 18th

Published: March 11, 2022

From Barb Schmidt

I hope you are all doing well. It’s time to think about summer undergraduate hiring  - UGRA and Student Assistant hires.  Molly will hire graduate research assistants.

Please let me know if you are planning to hire a new UGRA or Student Assistant this summer.  If you have a student hired in one of these positions this spring and would like to extend it through summer or fall 22 please let me know.   If you have a student hired into one of these positions this spring that will not continue, please also let me know.

Please email the following information by Friday, March 18th if possible. I’m trying to get as much summer hiring completed before moving on to fall 22 hiring.  I’ll be working with Jacki, copied, to complete student hourly hires.

UGRA and Student Assistant Position Required Information: Appointment start and end dates:  
Note: Summer semester is 6/6/2022 – 7/30/2022,  hiring dates for monthly employees start on the first day of the month and end on the last day of the month, so for summer semester June 1st to July 31st.  The CLAS Deadline for entering and approving summer positions is May 6, 2022 but earlier is better.

Hiring dates for student hourly employees can be flexible but it’s best for them to start at the beginning of a biweekly pay cycle. The first Summer 22 pay cycle for hourly employees is from 5/29/22 - 6/11/22.  Note: New hires must pass a background check before they can start working which may hold up their actual start date. 

1. Speed type:   
  2. Amount per month *pay rate must be no less than $15.87 per hour.  OR an pay hourly pay rate  
  3. Hours per week:  
  4. Brief description of work to be performed (2-3 sentences):
  5. Please let me know if the student has a work study award.  If so, the student has to be hired on a biweekly hourly basis as a Student Assistant.

Note: You can use the attached excel spreadsheet to calculate the hourly rate for monthly employees. Use the “Calculated by Standard Hours” portion and simply enter the monthly pay rate and the hours per week the student will work.  This is just a resource to double check that your student is meeting the $15.87 per hour minimum wage requirement. 

Thanks, and please let me know if you have any questions.