2021 Fall Seminar Series - Dr. Gregory Ragland

2021 Fall Seminar Series Presents

Fly and larva photo

DR. GREGORY RAGLAND
Associate Professor, CU Denver Department of Integrative Biology

WHEN:   Sept. 24, 2021, at Noon
WHEN:   Seminar will be presented via Zoom

Please complete the RSVP Form to receive the Zoom Meeting Link. Forms can be submitted any time before the Seminar but not after 10:00 am the day of the seminar.

The cold and the sluggish: evolutionary adaptions to winter

My lab is interested in how organisms adapt to changing environmental conditions. We take an integrative approach to understanding how evolutionary changes in the genome feed forward to alter physiology, development, and whole organism performance. During the seminar, I will describe some long-running projects in the lab focusing on adaptations of phenology, the seasonal timing of animal activity patterns. I will also introduce some new projects that I am very excited about attempting to understand how thermal effects on the process of transcription (production of RNA from the DNA code) might influence species distributions and local adaptation. Finally, I will touch on a new Course Based Undergraduate Research Experience that we are developing to connect CU Denver undergraduates with authentic research experiences relating to our lab’s research questions. Throughout, I will highlight work led by current and former students and postdocs in my lab.

Everyone is welcome to join the seminar, please complete the RSVP FORM to receive the Zoom link. Forms can be submitted any time before the seminar but not after 10:00 am the day of the seminar.