2021 Spring Seminar Series - Dr. Joanna E. Lambert

Dr. Joanna Lambert and Gorilla photo

Dr. Joanna E. Lambert
Professor
Program in Environmental Studies and Faculty in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
University of Colorado - Boulder

WHEN:  March 12,  2021 at Noon
WHERE: Seminar will be presented via Zoom

Please complete the RSVP FORM to receive the Zoom Meeting link. Forms can be submitted any time before the Seminar but not after 10:00am the day of the seminar.

Empty Forests and Resilient Species: reimagining conservation in Africa

In this talk I discuss how dramatic habitat and biodiversity loss over the almost 40 years of my career has fundamentally changed how I address questions in my science.  I center my discussion on results of my animal and forest ecology research in equatorial Africa spanning Uganda, Democratic Republic of Congo, Rwanda, Nigeria, and Cote d'Ivoire — regions of Africa that have undergone tremendous human population increases, demographic shifts, habitat loss, and species population decline.  I will focus on how patterns of seed dispersal and forest regeneration have been impacted by a voracious bushmeat trade and will present data demonstrating the particular significance of primates — especially chimpanzees and cercopithecine monkeys — in moving seeds and how these same species are preferred targets of hunters.  I conclude on a note of optimism and demonstrate how we can use our action and data to work towards actionable conservation tactics.  

Everyone is welcome to join the seminar, please complete the RSVP FORM to receive the Zoom link. Forms can be submitted any time before the seminar but not after 10:00am the day of the seminar.