Brigadier General Rodgers Scholarship for Geography Majors
The William M. Rodgers Fund
There are two scholarships offered: 1) each fall, the general scholarship is offered based on an application statement and overall GPA; 2) each spring, the research scholarship is available to those students also applying for the UROP for financial assistance in conducting a research project.
CONGRATULATIONS to the recipients of the Fall 2017 award!
"He thought geography had long been neglected," she said. "It's such an important subject and must amount to more than just learning the capitals. It involves studying the social, economic, historical and political aspects of a region." Thanks to his service in the Army, Mr. Rodgers learned geography firsthand. By the time he retired as a Brigadier General, he had served in World War II and the Korean War, was a highly decorated officer, and had traveled extensively throughout the world, including nearly all of the Northern Hemisphere. All this travel enriched Mr. Rodgers' second career in education.
"He incorporated his life experiences from the military into his teachings at CU Denver," said Mrs. Rodgers of her husband, who frequently brought clothing and other items from various parts of the world into his classes to help illustrate points. His students were so captivated by their professor that many of them continued their discussions and debates about geography in their free time. "He had a loyal following of students who met regularly after class in one of the coffeehouses. They called themselves Rodgers' Rangers," said Mrs. Rodgers.
Given William Rodgers' distinguished careers in the military and classroom, Mrs. Rodgers created the scholarship in his name as a loving tribute to her husband of 67 years. "Education is one of the most important things to support," she said, "and my husband truly enjoyed teaching."
General and Research Scholarship Applications
Undergraduate students seeking Rodgers Scholarship support for research must meet the following criteria:
- Junior or Senior Geography Major
- 3.0 GPA overall
- Previous winners are not eligible, but students may be eligible for both the general and the research scholarship.
- For the research scholarship, students must submit to the UROP program as well.
Application for Scholarship
- One to two-page application letter that discusses the candidate's qualifications and future aspirations (general application only).
- The name and email address of two references. At least one must be a Geography & Environmental Sciences faculty member.
- Unofficial CU Denver transcript.
- The research scholarship has additional proposal requirements.
Research Scholarship: $750 for individals or $1500 for a team project