She has been developing her scientific activity within geodesy and geomatics since 1988, by participating in national and international research projects. Initially devoted to research in physical geodesy, radar-altimetry and statistical analysis, after becoming an associate professor, she focused her interests on digital mapping and geographic information systems, free and open source GIS theory and applications representing one of her main research issues.
She was and is responsible for research contracts and consultancy related to the design and implementation of Geographic Information Systems; web Geoservices, GPS data processing systems, Digital Terrain Models, LIDAR.
- Director Geomatics Lab Politecnico di Milano, Como Campus, 2001-2010
- Degree with honors in Physics and PhD in Geodesy
- Researcher at the National Geophysical Institute
- Researcher, Associate Professor (Digital Cartography, GIS, Internet GIS) and then Full Professor at Polytechnic of Milan
- For 4 years she has taught also a GIS course at the ETH – Zurich.
- Co-chair of ISPRS WG IV/5 “Distributed and Web-Based Geoinformation Services and Applications”
- Associate Editor of the magazine Applied Geomatics (Springer)
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the Italian Photogrammetric and Topography Society (SIFET)
- Member of OSGEO Education Committee
- Member of the Advisory Board of the Open Source Geospatial Lab at the Center for Geospatial science, University of Nottingham