Students need 13 courses (39 credit hours of communication courses) to complete the major in Communication. At least 15 of the 39 hours must be upper division. Students must complete the five core courses shown below (15 credits); seven courses from among the Pathways listings (21 credits), and one exit course (3 credits). The department advises students to take the required courses as soon as possible.
Required Entrance Courses for Communication: 15 Credit Hours
COMM 1001 Presentational Speaking or COMM 2050 Business and Professional Speaking
COMM 1011 Fundamentals of Communication
COMM 1021 Introduction to Media Studies
- COMM 2020 Communication and Citizenship
- COMM 2075 Research and Writing in Communication
Pathway Area Courses: 21 Credit Hours
In addition to the five entrance courses (15 hours), students must take at least seven courses (21 hours) chosen from the Pathways areas. Please note that special topics courses (COMM 4710) count as Pathways courses.
Exit Course: 3 Credit Hours
Students must take one or more course from the Exit Course Area to bring the total number of completed hours to 39.
- 3939 Internship*
- 4040 Communication, Prisons, and Social Justice
- 4051 Advanced Strategic Communication*
- 4460 Communication, China and the U.S.
- 4500 Health Communication*
- 4525 Health Communication and Communities*
- 4550 Rhetoric of Medicine and Health*
- 4558 Digital Health Narratives
- 4660 Queer Media Studies
- 4688 Transitioning from College to Career
- 4700 Writing Practicum*
- 4995 Travel Study
(*= available in online format)