How do I know if I am eligible for the scholarship?

To be elgibile for the Noyce Scholarship, applicants must: 

  1. Be working towards or have completed an undergraduate STEM degree (mathematics, biology, chemistry, physics, environmental science, computer science, engineering) at CU Denver or other institution
  2. Intend to complete the requirements of the secondary math or science teacher licensure program at the School of Education and Human Development within the allotted one year
  3. Demonstrate a commitment to pursue a teaching career in a high-need school district for at least two years following licensure
  4. Have prior experience working with students in an educational or similar setting prior to starting the program OR be willing to gain this experience prior to starting the program
  5. Be a U.S. citizen, national, or permanent resident at the time of application
  6. Have a minimum GPA of 2.8
  7. Provide evidence of submitting your FAFSA
  8. Attend all meetings of the weekly STEMinar (specific schedule TBD)
I see I have to submit evidence of completing the FAFSA. Are there financial requirements I must meet?

Applicants are evaluated primarily on merit, and not on finanical need. However, because it is a federal scholarship program, completion of the FAFSA is required. 

Application Process and Timing

I am still an undergraduate student, but I know I want to teach. When can I apply for Noyce?

The current Noyce award at CU Denver provides for one year of funding, and this funding must be used to pay for the MA + licensure program. However, students will ideally apply for Noyce in the year prior to their final year as an undergraduate (i.e., by February of their junior year). This way, students can join the STEMinar for the entire senior year and will have time to complete the two pre-requisites. Then, students will apply to the SEHD MA + licensure program by February of their senior year. The scholarship funding and the licensure program would start in June following their senior year. 


I am in my final year of undergraduate studies. When should I apply for Noyce?

You will apply by Feb 15 of the year you want to start the licensure program. If you are accepted to Noyce and to the SEHD MA + licensure program, your funding and coursework will begin in June. 

I am pursuing an ISM (individually structured major) for seconday science teaching. Do I qualify for the scholarship?

The National Science Foundation requires that Noyce Scholarship Recipients earn a degree in science or math. If you are currently an ISM and are interested in applying for a Noyce Scholarship, you would need to change to a science major (e.g., biology, chemistry, physics, GES, engineering) to be eligible. Please contact Erin Howe or your advisor for more information. 

I have an undergraduate STEM degree from a different university. Am I still eligible?

Yes, students instituations other than CU Denver are eligible and encouraged to apply. 

Does acceptance into Noyce guarantee acceptance into the SEHD MA + licensure program?

No. You must apply seperately for the scholarship and the licensure program. Acceptance into one does not guarentee acceptance into the other. 

Teaching Service Requirement

Do I have to teach in Colorado? Do I have to teach in the US?

You may teach in any school in the US that meets the high-need requirement described below. You may also teach at a Department of Defense school in another country, though sometimes those jobs can be hard to obtain. Other international schools do not meet the requirement.  

What is the criteria that classifies a school district as “high-need”?

The term "a high-need local educational agency" as defined in section 201 of the Higher Education Act of 1965 (20 U.S.C. 1021) means a local educational agency (school district) that serves an elementary or secondary school located in an area which is characterized by at least ONE of the following:

  • A high percentage of individuals from families with incomes below the poverty line: The district has at least one school in which 50 percent or more of the enrolled students are eligible for participation in the free and reduced lunch program established by the Richard B. Russell National School Lunch Act (42U.S.C.1751 et seq.).
  • A high percentage of secondary school teachers not teaching in the content area in which they were trained to teach. The district has at least one school in which: (i) more than 34 percent of the academic classroom teachers at the secondary level (across all academic subjects) do not have an undergraduate degree with a major or minor in, or graduate degree in, the academic field in which they teach the largest percentage of their classes; or (ii) more than 34 percent of the teachers in two academic departments do not have an undergraduate degree with a major or minor in, or a graduate degree in the academic field in which they teach the largest percentage of their classes.
  • A high teacher turnover rate: The district has at least one school whose teacher attrition rate has been 15 percent or greater over the last three school years.
Do I need to teach in a high-needs school, or a high-needs district?

You may teach in any school within a district in which at least one school is considered high-need. For example, Boulder Valley School District is considered high-need because at least one of their schools serve a high percentage of students who qualify for FRL.  You could teach in ANY school in BVSD since the entire district is considered high-need.

Which districts in Colorado are considered high-need?

In Colorado, almost all districts are considered high-needs because the entire district is classified this way even if only one school in the district meets the criteria (see above question). There are a few exceptions, so you do need to check.

If you aren’t sure if your district qualifies, take these steps:

  1. Start with the low-income percentage, since this is often the easiest to determine. The federal TEACH grant has a searchable list  of every school that meets the FRL criteria. TIP- if you download the excel spreadsheet from this site, you can search by district. Otherwise, the web form searches by school building only. Remember, as long as one school in the district is categorized as low-income, it meets the Noyce requirement.
  2. Ask your principal. S/he will have to verify the school’s eligibility on the verification form, but it is a good idea to confirm upon offer of employment. Or do the appropriate online research.
What if I want to work at a district that is not considered high-need?

If a you decide to teach in a district in the country that is not high-need, then it is the same scenario as if you aren’t teaching- you will have to pay back the money as if it were a loan. If you teach one year in a high-need district and one year in non-high-need district, then you would have to repay the one year only.