2019 July Monthly Science Snippet

Published: July 18, 2019

July 2019

Monthly Science Snippet

looking over the gym at the fair

Farewell Letter from our Director

After 10 years of volunteering, administrating, and coordinating the CoorsTek Denver Metro Regional Science and Engineering Fair (DMRSEF), it is time for me to achieve new personal career goals. Thus, I have stepped down from my position as the Director of the CoorsTek DMRSEF. I appreciate all the support I have received from you all, Central Colorado Area Health Education Center (CCAHEC), and CU Denver's College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS) during these past years. While I was the Director, here are a few highlights that I am most proud of:

·         Moved the Fair from the Denver Museum of Nature and Science to its new location;

·         Increased the number of projects eligible to compete at the International Science and Engineering Fair;

·         Increased the number of schools participating in the CoorsTek DMRSEF;

·         Partnered with our new title sponsor; and,

·         Just-so-happened to have the top winner of the 2019 ISEF be from our region.

I know the CoorsTek DMRSEF will be in good hands with Kayla, especially during this transition period. Therefore, if you have a question about the CoorsTek DMRSEF or SRC rules, please contact: Kayla.Ahr@ucdenver.edu or denversciencefair@ucdenver.edu.

I truly have enjoyed working with you all and appreciate your hard work in making the CoorsTek DMRSEF an amazing competition for our upcoming and developing young scientists and engineers. I look forward to our paths crossing again in the future.

Transition Plan

In Dr. Jennifer Hellier’s absence, the CoorsTek DMRSEF is excited to announce that Kayla Ahr will be the main contact and Co-Director of the 2020 CoorsTek DMRSEF. CU Denver hopes to hire a replacement for Dr. Hellier in the near future.

As a Denver native, throughout her K-12 education, Kayla attended schools throughout the Denver Metro region from Jefferson, Littleton, and Douglas County Schools. She began college through concurrent enrollment at Arapahoe Community College while attending STEM School Highlands Ranch, and later transferred to the University of Colorado Denver where she currently studies sociology. Many of you had the chance to meet Kayla as she worked alongside Dr. Hellier during the 2018-2019 fair season, and for those yet to do so, be sure to attend our kick-off in September where Kayla will have the opportunity to introduce herself.

Moving forward, if you would like to get in touch with the CoorsTek DMRSEF please continue to email denversciencefair@ucdenver.edu, or contact Kayla directly at Kayla.Ahr@ucdenver.edu | 303-315-1730.

REGISTER NOW

kickoff postcard

Tentative Kick-off Schedule

Student Commons Building, Room 1600

·         4:30 – 5:00 pm    Check-in and Networking    

·         5:00 – 6:00 pm    Poster Presentations and Dinner

·         6:00 – 7:15 pm    Presentations

o   Teacher/Corporate/Community perspective

o   Students’ perspective

o   Student/Parent/Teacher Resources

·         7:15 – 8:30 pm

o   Project ideas – what have been very successful over the last 5 years at DMRSEF, CSEF, and ISEF

o   Introducing changes to the rules and guidelines

2019-2020 Fair Registration:

Opens: November 1, 2019

Closes: January 17, 2020

NO EXTENSIONS!

Registration for the Annual Kick-Off Event is now open.

Please save your seat by registering today!

Kick-Off Registration

Participant Highlight

We reached out to past CoorsTek DMRSEF winners and asked them five questions about what they like about the CoorsTek DMRSEF and competing in science fairs. Here are Anand Chundi’s (Skyview Academy) answers.

What is your favorite part of the entire science fair season, from start to finish? “My favorite part of the science fair process is to learn about the research conducted by other participants.”

What recommendations/tips would you give to someone thinking of competing in science fair? “I would encourage prospective science fair participants to find a project idea or question that really excites them; a project that they find is challenging, and also fun to work on.”

What real world skills did your experience at Intel ISEF teach you? “My experience with science fair has taught me how to successfully plan and execute a multi-month/multi-year project, which I think is an extremely important real-world skill.”

How has your understanding of science/education changed since participating in science fair? “Since participating in the science fair, my understanding of science has expanded from a class in school, to seeing how vastly it can be applied to change the world around us.”

How would you say that science fair participation helps students explore their interests in science and engineering? “Science fair participation allows students to seek answers to the questions that they want to ask of the world around them. It really helps to develop a passion for science and engineering in and out of the classroom.”