Alpha Kappa Delta (AKD) is the International Sociology Honor Society. AKD was founded in 1920 at the University of Southern California by Dr. Emory S. Bogardus and became affiliated with the Association of College Honor Societies (ACHS) in 1967. Alpha Kappa Delta is also affiliated with the American Sociological Association (ASA).
AKD seeks to acknowledge and promote excellence in the scholarship in the study of sociology, the research of social problems, and such other social and intellectual activities as will lead to improvement in the human condition. Alpha Kappa Delta is a non-secret, democratic, international society of scholars dedicated to the ideal of Anthropon Katamanthanein Diakonesein or “to investigate humanity for the purpose of service.”
Membership in Alpha Kappa Delta is open to current students who are:
- Undergraduate majoring or minoring in Sociology
- At least a junior standing
- Have completed a minimum of four Sociology courses
- Have maintained the equivalent of a 3.0 GPA in sociology courses taken prior to initiation
- Graduate student in Sociology
- Completed at least one semester of courses
- Graduate GPA of a "B" or better
Lifetime membership is $50.
If you meet the above requirements, and are interested in joining Alpha Kappa Delta, please contact Dr. Teresa M. Cooney, firstname.lastname@example.org.