Health Disparities/Health Equity; Pediatric Health Services; Preventive Medicine; Youth of Color; Minoritized Youth; Pediatric Psychology
Dr. Thamotharan will not be accepting a Clinical Health Psychology student to start Fall 2022.
Postdoctoral Fellowship, Alpert Medical School of Brown University, 2016-2019
Ph.D., Clinical Psychology, Texas A&M University, 2016
Predoctoral Internship, Alpert Medical School of Brown University, 2015-2016
M.A., Psychology, University of Houston- Clear Lake, 2010
B.A.S., Molecular Cell and Developmental Biology, Political Science, University of California-
Los Angeles, 2008
Dr. Thamotharan is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychology at the University of Colorado Denver. She is a licensed pediatric psychologist with a background in integrated primary care and pediatric patient-centered medical homes. She is committed to minoritized health equity. She has focused her clinical practice on providing behavioral health services to underserved youth, which has informed her approach to clinical research.
Specifically, she focuses on health behaviors with significant health and healthcare disparities impacting adolescents, most prominently sexual and reproductive health. She conducts culturally and gender responsive, preventive health services research to foster accessible and high-quality healthcare and alleviate disparities among youth of color, in particular young women of color. She utilizes a socioecological approach and develops, evaluates, and implements tools and interventions on patient, provider, and systems levels. This includes digital health technologies and patient-centered care models. Her research uses mixed-methods and is interdisciplinary in nature, with collaborators from pediatrics, obstetrics and gynecology, and public health.
- Hahn, H., Kalnitsky, S., Haines, N., Thamotharan, S., Beauchaine, T.P., & Ahn, W.Y. (In press). Delay Discounting of Protected Sex: Relationship Type and Sexual Orientation Influence Sexual Risk Behavior. Archives of Sexual Behavior.
- Barker, D.H., Enimil, A., Galarraga, O., Bosomtwe, D., Mensah, N., Thamotharan, S., Henenbeng, E., Brown, L.K., & Kwara, A. (in press). In-Clinic Adolescent Peer-Group Support for Engagement in Sub-Saharan Africa: A Feasibility and Acceptability Trial. Journal of the International Association of Providers of AIDS Care.
- Brayboy, L.M., McCoy, K., Thamotharan, S., Zhu, E., Gil, G., & Houck, C. (2018). Use of technology in sexual health education especially among minority adolescent girls in the United States. Current Opinions in Obstetrics & Gynecology, 30(5), 305-309.
- Thamotharan, S., Hall, S., Hahn, H., Blake, J., & Fields, S. (2018). Contextualizing gender and acculturative influences on Asian Indian sexual initiation during adolescence. Sexuality & Culture, 22, 380-390.
- Hahn, H., You, D.D., Sferra, M., Hubbard, M., Thamotharan, S., & Fields, S. (2018). Is it too soon to meet? Examining differences in geosocial networking app use and sexual risk behavior of emerging adults. Sexuality & Culture, 22, 1-21.