Courtney Harrell is a CU Denver Storyteller

Published: Dec. 16, 2014

Courtney Harrell, an intern for the UC Denver Communications teamCourtney Harrell likes writing stories about people doing everyday things – but doing it in a way that gets her readers' attention. Writing as an intern for The University of Colorado Denver's Communications team, Courtney has worked hard to tell the stories of otherwise unsung efforts from students, faculty, and staff who are making a difference on campus and in their community.

She's written about students reaching out to mentor incoming freshmen, faculty doing groundbreaking research, and organizations making their political voices heard. As a "narrative journalist" Courtney plans to pursue an MFA after graduating from CU Denver and to work as a free-lance journalist before eventually returning to academia to teach the craft of writing to others. She knows from personal experience just how difficult it can be to have confidence in your own "voice" when you lose confidence in yourself.

Courtney went on a soul-searching adventure after high-school, one that shaped her as a writer and as a person. Rebounding from multiple college rejection letters, Courtney worked full-time as a cashier until she had saved enough money to make her escape and travel. She spent five months in Paris, France working for a non-profit organization in a café to feed the homeless, then went to Cambodia and spent three months teaching English and French to children and adults in remote villages. While she traveled, Courtney wrote poems, grant requests, travel blogs and more, recovering the confidence that those rejection letters had taken away. With renewed passion and vigor, Courtney came to CU Denver and approached her time here as a chance to impact her community and solidify her writing skills.

Taking every opportunity to grow as a writer, citizen, and student, Courtney has thrown herself into everything she's done at CU Denver. As a Professional Writing Consultant in the English Department's Writing Center, Courtney has experienced the joy of teaching other students how to grow confident in their writing. Volunteering her time and taking on a leadership role, Courtney developed a series of extracurricular peer workshop groups, which have produced impressive works and built connections among students. As an Associate Fiction Editor of the English Department's literary magazine the Copper Nickel, Courtney has helped this nationally recognized publication rebound from hiatus and move toward a new and brighter future. The cherry on top of her undergraduate writing experience has been the opportunity to write for the popular, local Denver news and entertainment paper Westword, a milestone she didn't anticipate achieving while still working toward her BA.

In her own, well-crafted words, Courtney tells you more here about her experiences at and connection to CU Denver:

CU Denver: Why did you choose CU Denver?

Harrell: At the time that I transferred to CU Denver from UCCS (University of Colorado Colorado Springs), I was looking to finish my undergraduate degree in a major city. I looked at schools in New York, Chicago, and Seattle, before finally deciding to come to CU Denver for its urban perks and easy mountain access. Ultimately, though, it was Copper Nickel, CU Denver's literary magazine, that made the school stand out from other writing programs I was looking at. The idea of seeing work from writers nationwide and helping with the production of a national magazine was extremely enticing and has been every bit as fulfilling as I thought it would be.

CU Denver: What do you study and why is it of interest to you?

Harrell: I am graduating with an English Literature major and a focus in Creative Writing. I have always wanted to read anything I could get my hands on and have always wanted to be a writer because I think everything in life ultimately boils down to stories. The way we think about our days, the conversations we have with each other, even the lists we write for trips to the grocery store—they are all forms of storytelling. I wanted the chance to immerse myself in a community of fellow readers and writers where I could develop my skills and begin sharing stories with my community.

CU Denver: What are your goals for the future?

Harrell: My plan after school is actually more school! I'm in the process of applying for MFA programs across the country, in the hopes that I can both continue to hone my craft and gain the credentials to eventually teach writing myself. While I wait to hear whether or not I was accepted, I will be continuing to write stories for CU Denver Communications and pursuing other freelance writing options.

CU Denver: How is the scholarship you received helping you to achieve your goals?

Harrell: I received the Michael Gorniak Memorial Scholarship, which was pivotal in my final year of school. The scholarship gave me the financial cushion to walk away from one of my jobs and only work positions centered on writing. Because of that, I was able to devote my last semester to my course work, my work for University Communications, and my work for the CU Denver Writing Center. The scholarship enabled me to completely immerse myself in writing, which has hugely helped my academic and professional development.

CU Denver: If you could tell people one thing about CU Denver what would it be?

Harrell: CU Denver has so many options to practice your craft in the real-world while you're in school. When I graduate, it will be with experience teaching, writing in a professional workplace, and editing for a national literary magazine. These were opportunities placed in front of me by faculty and staff who went out of their way to see me get real-world experience that would help me succeed post-graduation. I know that my internship and employment opportunities are not unique in that any student can get this kind of practice before they graduate from CU Denver.