CLAS students seeking secondary foreign language licensure with a major in Spanish must complete 30 semester hours of upper-division coursework in Spanish, plus 8 hours in Urban Community Teacher Education. Students should meet with the faculty advisor in Spanish designated to work with secondary licensure students (Plaza 118N, 303-315-7234). The BA in Spanish requires that a minimum of 18 semester hours be taken at CU-Denver, and that the minimum grade for each course applied to the major be a ‘C’ (2.0). The GPA in all courses applied to Spanish major must be a 2.5. At least 12 of the 30 semester hours must be taken at the 4000 level. No courses taken on a pass/fail basis may be credited toward a Spanish Major or Minor. The following list of courses for the major should be used as a guide. Please see the assigned faculty advisor in Spanish for the most current list of requirements.
Introduction to Literature – 3 semester hours
- SPAN 3101 Introduction to the Study of Literature
Language Skills and Theory – 9 semester hours
- SPAN 3060 Hispanic Phonetics: Theory and Practice
- Any two courses numbered SPAN 30xx or SPAN 40xx.
Culture and Civilization – 6 semester hours
- Any two courses numbered SPAN 32xx or 42xx.
Peninsular Literature – 3 semester hours
- Any course numbered SPAN 41xx or 43xx.
Spanish American Literature – 3 semester hours
- Any course numbered SPAN 44xx or 45xx.
Spanish Major Electives – 6 sem hr
- Any two 3xxx or 4xxx level Spanish courses
UCTE - 8 Semester Hours
In addition to the Spanish Major courses, students must take 8 semester hours of Urban Community Teacher Education (UCTE) Courses, as follows:
- UEDU 4010 Social Foundations and Cultural Diversity in Urban Education
- UEDU 4020 Co-developing Culturally Responsive Classroom Communities
- UEDU 4930 Education Internship and Seminar (2 credits) – 120 contact hours of internship(s) providing supervised experience with children and on campus seminar. See CLAS advisor for details.Note: Deadlines Fall – March 15 Spring – October 15
12 of the 30 semester hours taken for the Spanish major must be completed at the 4000 level.