The graduate admissions process is selective and personal—you apply directly to the department you are considering. We will guide and assist you with understanding and completing the application requirements, and also notify you of your admission status. We know the admissions process can sometimes seem complicated, so if you have questions about the admissions process that are difficult to answer, we encourage you to contact us anytime. Applicants for a master's degree in English must submit all application materials by the deadlines as follows:
|Target Enrollment Term||Deadline for Completed Application|
|Summer||Priority given to applications received before April 1|
|Spring||Priority given to applications received before Oct 1|
|Fall||Priority given to applications received before April 1|
Complete applications must include the following:
- A completed application from the Graduate School office on the Downtown Denver Campus. Submit an application online: Domestic and International.
- One copy of all graduate and undergraduate transcripts, and for any non-degree courses previously taken.
- Three letters of recommendation, in which the recommender specifically addresses the candidate’s ability to pursue successfully the program chosen (forms for recommendation letters are available with the online application).
- Evidence of a 3.0 grade point average in previous courses.
- A one-page statement of purpose in which the applicant carefully describes reasons and motivation for pursuing the program chosen, and career aspirations upon completing the degree.
- A critical writing sample of approximately 10 pages in length.
- The Graduate Record Exam scores are optional. You may provide them if you wish, but they are no longer required.
Please mail any materials that cannot be submitted online to:
- Graduate School University of Colorado Denver
- MA English Department
- Campus Box 163, 1380 Lawrence Street 173364
- Suite 1250, P.O. Box 173364 Denver CO 80217-3364
Applicants for the MA in English must have successfully completed 24 semester hours in English courses (graduate or undergraduate), excluding courses in composition, creative writing or speech. At least 16 of these semester hours must be at the upper division level.
Transfer of Credits from Other CU Campuses:
Students admitted to graduate study in English may complete all of their course requirements for the MA degree at UC Denver. Up to nine credits may be transferred from the CU-Boulder, UCCS or other graduate program; however, such transfer requires the written approval of the graduate director. Further, work already applied toward a graduate degree received at the University of Colorado or at another institution cannot be transferred toward another graduate degree of the same level at UC Denver.
For other rules concerning transfer of graduate credits, see the Downtown Denver Campus Graduate School Rules or contact Nancy Ciccone, Graduate Director, at 303-315-7833 or email@example.com.