You are here: Home > October 11, 2012 Issue > Psychology PhD Program Reaches Key Milestones

Psychology PhD Program Reaches Key Milestones

Entering its 5th year, the Clinical Health Psychology PhD Program is reaching key milestones. The program is close to full capacity with 5 cohorts of students (total = 24), the first of which will be applying this fall for culminating, year-long internships in a nationwide, highly competitive matching process. The program is attracting attention locally and nationally. The number of admissions applications for 2012 jumped 53% over 2011, to 87 applicants, and for the past two years each of the program’s first choice, top-tier candidates accepted the offer of admission and matriculated in the program. Strong ties are being forged with the Anschutz Medical campus, National Jewish Health, Denver Health and other medical facilities in the area as the program’s students rotate through several half year externships beginning their third year in the program.

The program’s on-site training clinic (PSC, located in NC 3002) for doctoral student therapists has grown in three years from a small clinic serving a handful of patients to one that currently serves over a hundred patients and has a waiting list of patients seeking low cost therapy or psychological assessment. The PSC, which is entirely self-funded, has already become an important part of the network of psychological services for the Auraria campus and broader Denver community. Since 2009, 42% of the PSC’s patients were from the Denver metropolitan area and the remaining 58% were students and faculty from Metro State, Community College of Denver, as well as CU Denver. Many (33%) of the PSC’s patients are from underserved and minority populations. Just as the clinical skills imparted to students in the program are returned to the Auraria campus and Denver community, students in the program provide critical support for CU Denver’s undergraduate Psychology programs. Over the past academic year, qualified students in the PhD program independently taught over 1000 credit hours of undergraduate Psychology courses.

For more information about the Clinical Health Psychology PhD program, contact Dr. Kevin Masters.

For more information about the PSC, contact Dr. Kevin Everhart.


IN THIS ISSUE

PREVIOUS ISSUES

June 19, 2014

May 22, 2014

May 8, 2014

April 24, 2014

April 10, 2014

March 27, 2014

View More Issues

COLLEGE LINKS

CLAS Home Page

CLAS Events

Faculty and Staff Resources

UNIVERSITY LINKS

University Home Page

UCD Network

UCD Newsroom

DEPARTMENTS

The CLAS Deans' Notes is a bi-weekly newsletter for college faculty and staff.

EDITOR:
Tracy Kohm 303.556.6663